Saturday, August 23, 2008

Oral Surgery

The two back molars on my lower left jaw have quietly staged little riots for about five years. I can't say I blame them. Riddled with ancient mercury fillings from childhood, cracked from horseback riding incidents, they were just tired and ready to call it quits.

I took Friday off from work. Nervous about the impending work, I swam at 5 a.m., drove home and went for a five mile run on a hilly route. This wore me out sufficiently so that I was only mildly nervous upon reaching the dentist's office. Laughing gas quelled my remaining fears. For an hour and a half, the dentist pushed and pulled, cut and sutured. He discovered a fractured root on one tooth and had to drag out what i think might have been a miniature bone saw at one point.

This morning the left side of my face was pretty swollen. It looked like an enormous jowl protruding straight out. Ice packs bring the swelling down temporarily, then it puffs back up.

I've been told to "take it easy on the exercise this weekend". I don't think that means give up the planned ten mile run on Sunday. But I didn't ask. I'm compromising by not exercising today. Bored out of my mind, I've done quite a few home improvement projects.

2 comments:

Jenni G said...

hey love the header! im inspired for change...hmmm.

now that you are laid up for a few days, wheres that sweater you promised me?

Anne B said...

haha! I am working on the sweater! It will be a wicking sweater. Seriously, I am going stir crazy.