Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Catching Up

Wow, it’s been nearly two years since I devoted any attention to The Flailing Years. At this point, it might be easier to scrap this blog and start fresh. Or just abandon the whole blog notion.

Let me see if I can summarize what I’ve been up to for two years.

January 2009 – Siberian Express 10K Trail Run, Danville, IL. This race was an absolute blast. The Kennekuk Running Club sure knows how to put on an event. I came in toward the last of the pack. Most of the course is single track trail through thick woods, which makes it difficult to pass people. I got behind a woman who, I am pretty sure, was either blind or close to it, and was being led by a man. It was amazing to watch her navigate the ravines and muddy low areas.
February 2009– Gasparilla Festival Half Marathon , Tampa FL
Memorable this year in that just as Karen and I were finishing on Bayshore Boulevard, a full blown tropical storm opened up. We just barely made it across the finish line before high winds and rain forced the post-race party to move inside the Convention Center.

March 2009– Lincoln Memorial Half Marathon – Hills. Slow. Hate this race.

April 2009– Petersburg Sprint Distance Triathlon – Went pretty well. It’s a pool swim, the bike course has hills, the run course has hills. Someone was burning leaves on the run course, my throat hurt for a couple of days.

May 2009 – Indianapolis 500 Mini Marathon. In 2006, I trained for this race with the Half Wits. It was an amazing experience, being my first "big" race. I kept intending to return. Went over with Nancy, Linda and met up with some others, but for some reason it wasn’t as enjoyable. I think that the novelty had worn off, or maybe the race was just too big. The weather was nasty - overcast and cold, really really cold for May. It was the height of the H1N1 hysteria. The night before the race we met up with some other ladies at an Italian restaurant and it was pouring down rain. I stayed at an older hotel that wonderful, right next to St. Elmos Steakhouse.

June 2009 – Tri Shark sprint Triathlon, Bloomington, IL – This was the most enjoyable event of the season for me. Wetsuit friendly, a new race. Went up to Bloomington with Mary R. Felt calm and in control the entire time. We both won a bottle of Rocket Shower as a door prize afterwards.

July 2009 – Tour de donut – Won my age group, what can I say, I like to eat donuts.

July 2009 – Stoneman Sprint Triathlon, Springfield, IL – Swim went badly for me. The course was measured long (supposedly). There were waves, people panicking around me. I couldn’t get into a good groove and ended up breast stroking much of the swim. Oh well, I did it…

October – Chicago Marathon. WORST DAY EVER. The weekend before I was in the Emergency Room after a run with awful stomach cramps and vomiting. Tests, including CT Scan, failed to uncover anything and I was sent home. Ran the first 7 miles with Joni and then started having the same stomach problems. By the halfway point I was walking every tenth of a mile. I walked most of the last half. My stomach just hurt. No explanation for this, and it has never happened again. It was after this race that I made a pledge to myself that I would never, ever, EVER again sign up, train for, or in any way remotely entertain the thought of participating in another marathon.

2010 Race Schedule
February – Gasparilla Half Marathon, Tampa
March – Penquin in the Park 5K
April – Sullivan Civic Center Sprint
May – Capital City Biathlon, Springfield, IL
July – Tour de Donut - Won overall women's (wow!)
August – Abe’s Amble 10K
September 25th – Womens Running Magazine Half Marathon, Nashville, TN

No comments: